Chepstow RFC | Under 16s 8 - 13 Brynmawr RFC | Under 16s

Match Report
04 February 2018 / Team News

Match Report 16s v Brynmawr RFC

Well, its been a long time coming but last Sunday was one to forget. Brynmawr were late notice replacements and gamely made the trip to our backyard. From the off Chepstow looked to have an advantage organisationally, technically and physically. However, Brynmawr were mentally up for it and the game was very evenly balanced. So much so that a home penalty 10 minutes in was opeted for a kick at goal as every point was clearly going to be very valuable. Keegan slotted the 35 metre kick very coolly and Chepstow had their noses in front.


All the boys were working hard, upfront there was the usual attritional battle but nothing the boys hadn’t coped with all season. Jayden Davies scrapped for everything, Jake S & Freddie hit their usual rucks and disrupted attacks in the process, Angus, Joe B & Rhys tackled hard, Callum & Spencer made surging runs from the base of rucks, Lewis & Dan set a good platform at the set pieces and Will was his usual abrasive self in attack and defence.


However, in the backs there was no real threat and our line looked dominant, Ieuan made several sniping runs, Thomas F and Joe T were a constant threat ably supported by Keegan, Hugh, Tom & Morgan all eager to support attacks.


However, we were missing our usual hunger. Chasing kicks, defensive workrate and, more importantly, discipline weren’t where they needed to be. Chepstow must have conceded 10 straight penlaties for offside, yet still no-one reacted to change the course of the game. This meant huge concessions of territory and playing under unnecessary pressure. Brynmawr deservedly took the lead after 23 mins – 3-5.


In the odd period of Chepstow possession, Keegan scored a good try to retake the lead, 8-5. Not long after, another penalty was granted in an identical positon to the one that Keegan had slotted earlier in the game. For some bizarre reason this was not opted to kick at goal and the subsequent attack was thwarted and the half-time whistle went.


The boys agreed they would give the opposition a clear foot behind the offside line to stamp out the penalties. But as the 2nd half whistle went that was completely forgotten and the penalties (deservedly) rained down on us again. Due to the lack of attacking threat from the visitors we repelled the attacks with relative ease. However, they were awarded a penalty midway through the 2nd half to tie the scores. If we had taken the earlier penalty to extend our lead they would not have taken this option as it would still have left them chasing the game – maybe a lesson to learn!? Anyway, this was successfully kicked and the scores were tied, 8-8.


More staccato rugby followed, the coach almost burst a blood vessel and with the final play of the game Chepstow made a complete hash of clearing from the their half and in their only clean break of the day Brynmawr broke free to score with the final kick of the game, 8-13.


One for the lesson books, we’ve all had them but the boys need to reflect and learn from this. The away fixture is now planned for 4th March to set the record straight.


On we go…….

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos