Chepstow RFC | Under 16s 30 - 29 Newport HSOB RFC | Under 16s

Match Report
07 January 2018 / Team News

Match Report 16s v Newport HSOB RFC

After Berry Hill dropped out late we agreed to a significant step up in quality by welcoming NHSOB to Chepstow. With training cancelled earlier in the week this was the first time the boys had been on a rugby field for just under a month. Cold weather and a biting wind did nothing for the boys’ mood as they arrived at the ground. We had a good conversation beforehand in the changing room about our self-belief and the choices we could make to show ourselves at our best, regardless of who we were facing.


Something clicked, as we started with a real bang. Despite playing uphill and into a stiff breeze, it was Chepstow that took the initiative. Rhys nicked a good lineout and Angus mopped up the tap down and drove forward, Callum and Fred cleared the ruck and Edwin released quick ball, Thomas cut back and made good yards, from the next phase Chepstow went blind and Harry Taylor sucked in the defence and passed to Hugh who beat his man for the first touchdown. What a start!


Chepstow were playing with confidence but NHSOB showed their class by working an overlap with their big runners, scoring in the corner to tie the scores 5-5. The home side went back on the attack and worked a move to the right hand side, Joe Beard showed a change of pace that left his man grabbing at him but Joe was too strong and powered through to outsprint the cover defence from 25 metres out to score a great try, 10-5. Some real self-belief was growing now and Chepstow started to dominate, despite the elements being against them. Jake Summers was everywhere, disrupting their rucks, Dan Williams and Lewis Bedford were tackling and supporting our runners really well and Callum put in some telling big hits and also securing good clean ball.


Another move up the right hand side and some great hands from Hugh saw him over the line for the 2nd time, showing how much he has improved since joining the team, 2 good poacher tries – 15-5. The game ebbed and flowed for the next 15 minutes with no score but Chepstow very much in control and not phased by the physicality of a big and organised NHSOB side. As the half-time whistle went everyone was delighted with how we were performing and also knowing that the slope and wind were worth a few points at least.


However, it wasn’t to be that easy. Despite agreeing that we had to focus on territory and kick at most opportunities in our own half we made a couple of poor calls and put ourselves under pressure. NHSOB are too good not to turn these into points and, within a flash, we had surrendered all of the hard work from the 1st half by conceding 3 quick tries! Now down 15-24, cue the coach losing his sense of humour behind the posts. The boys finally woke up and started to get a foothold in the opposition half. Morgan worked well off Thomas and Tom Wacey did well to support attacks and also make important tackles against their flyer. Keegan was fielding kicks well from fullback, all in all NHSOB couldn’t escape their half. Their organised defence was tough to breakdown but Thomas spotted a gap and backed himself, fending off their outside half then inside centre and finally the fullback to score under the posts, duly converted by Keegan and we were back in the game – 22-24.


More pressure led to a kickable penalty which was refused in favour of running the ball with no score as a result. A further opportunity was, for some reason, only reluctantly opted to go for goal. Keegan slotted it nicely and we were back in the lead – 25-24. As NHSOB realised that Chepstow weren’t going to lie down the game got more edgy and some discipline was lost by both sides. NHSOB reverted to a very tight pick and drive game that Chepstow would not have encountered too much previously. They executed really well and scored a good try, thankfully in the corner and not converted. There were only 5 minutes left and the score was 25-29. NHSOB took the kick-off well (as they had all day) and were started on another ominous drive upfield. Good tight defence from the forwards disrupted their pattern and they spun the ball wide, Harry Taylor read the play well and pounced to intercept and show a clean pair of heels to score and retake the lead – 30-29 with 3 minutes to go. NHSOB again received the kick-off well and went on the full offensive, making good yards. Their flying left wing cut free and the game looked lost, however Keegan somehow got into position to bring him down and the subsequent pop out of the tackle was forward and the final whistle went, phew…..


What went well:

  1. Commitment
  2. Teamwork
  3. Effort levels


Things to work on

  1. Self-belief
  2. Self-belief
  3. Self-belief


On we go……..

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos